Who is Treating Your Veins?

If you have varicose veins and make an appointment to be seen at a “vein center”, you probably assume that you will be evaluated and treated by a physician, and one with board certification in a vascular specialty, right? Well, not necessarily.

These days “vein centers” are popping up all over the country, many of which are corporate-owned, multi-state businesses. The “provider” who performs your initial evaluation might not even be a doctor, much less one with any formal specialty training or board certification in a vascular specialty such as vascular surgery or vascular interventional radiology.

Also, if your varicose vein treatment requires a medical procedure, who exactly is performing that procedure? Once again, you probably assume the procedure will be performed by a board certified specialist physician with a medical school diploma plus many additional years of formal education and training in the management of vascular disease, right? Once again, not necessarily so. In many of these “vein businesses” even the invasive procedures are not performed by a doctor, but by a physician assistant – someone who has not even gone to medical school, much less has any physician vascular specialty training.

You will be pleased to know that at Carolina Vein Care and Aesthetics, all of the vein procedures such as vein ablation, ambulatory phlebectomy, and ultrasound-guided foam injections are all performed by one of our vascular board certified physicians. Dr. Jackson is board certified in Vascular Surgery; Dr. Park is board certified in Vascular Interventional Radiology.

This is just one of the critical differences between Carolina Vein Care and Aesthetics and the “national vein chain.” So, who is treating your veins?